December 04, 2012

Navajo Hogan


Another from the Greasy Woot

Sometimes I wonder why I like trying new food so much. There is plenty on my palate that would allow a lifetime of experience and yet, I still have to try something new.
I guess I find it silly to limit myself to what I’m comfortable eating, though compared to some, even that isn’t very limiting. I am supremely grateful to parents that told me I had to try the new dish they made for us before I told them I didn’t like it. Rarely could I say I didn’t like it.

On a Monday, after a particularly rough day at school (I was not the brut I am now) I came home to my mother stewing some tomatoes and heating the oil in the deep fryer. The smell was overwhelming and so welcoming; the spices in the air caused my senses to dance and tingle.
I immediately forgot the rotten day.
When I saw what she was making, I was perplexed. What I thought were going to be scones were flattened and thrown in the hot oil. From there she instructed us to put on some taco meat, some cheese, that tantalizing tomato sauce, and various other taco related toppings; sour cream, avocado, olives, and the sort.
I was in heaven! To this day, it is still my favorite dish she makes.
While Navajo Hogan is nothing more than a cinderblock building with a cafeteria style dining area in a neighborhood that has seen better days - the smell was the same, the food just as good.

If the salt lake valley were a chest cavity, this would be found on the right side of the left lung about half way down.
Since it isn’t, you’ll find it here, on the North side of the street:

Navajo Hogan
447 w 3300 s
Salt Lake City, UT 84115

No comments:

Post a Comment