December 04, 2012

African Market

So, I found the articles I wrote for my work; a column titled "The Greasy Woot" so the format is slightly different than what I will normally be writing in, but I promise nothing.

This was one of my first for the column and with these, I won't be changing what I said, so some of the information may feel redundant...mostly because it may be. heh.


A while back I had the privilege of being introduced to Ethiopian food through the fares of African Market and Restaurant.
Food here was unlike any I had previously experienced. I’m familiar with a style of eating that I picked up from some of the immigrants in Texas, where you eat your food with your fingers. You tear pieces of your tortilla and eat it that way. The style of eating is much the same but the flavor is truly unique and yes, wonderful.

The recommendation the first time you go would be to get the combination platter. It serves about two people comfortably, and if you don’t like a particular fare, let your friend eat it.

The combo plate is served on a large flat-bread called Injera. This bread is strange, it is spongy. It is good. Akin to a crepe, a tortilla and a…sponge, the taste is similar to sourdough bread made with buttermilk with sour added just to sour; it is not the least bit overwhelming, at least it wasn’t for me. With your food piled nicely on the injera, you get another piece or two to eat it with, yes – much in the style I just previously explained. No forks or knifes, no spoons…you have to ask for a straw if you want it for your drink. (Okay, you may not have to do that)

If you’re looking to impress your spouse, your friends, or your mom with your cultural awareness and taste savvy taste-buds or just looking for something other than the homogenized offerings of chain restaurants (I’m really not bitter, I promise); I recommend you try this place. If you’re looking to branch out and try something new and not thoroughly regret it, this may not be the place for you. (But I still recommend it.) The food here was so different that it was exciting, but if you don’t tolerate “new” food well, then maybe pass on this one and try the Chilean Deli.

As far as finding this diamond in the rough, you will see it on the west side of Redwood rd just a stitch south of 18th. This store shares an odd companionship with Standard Plumbing Supplies, which you may see before you see this place.

The GPS location is:
African Market & Restaurant
1878 s Redwood Road
Salt Lake City, UT 84104
(801) 978-9673

No comments:

Post a Comment